Monday, September 17, 2012

The Last of Whittinghill's Grocery

This past weekend a family staple was auctioned off. Although we were quite sad about it and I cried thinking about it, I know it is a huge burden lifted off of my granny. Whittinghill's Grocery was started by my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather Roxy and Ruil Whittinghill. Then later my Granny and her sister took over. Not only was I raised in this store which is a mile from my house, my mother grew up in it as well. They have the best sandwiches around and a plethora of old fashioned candy. I would stop here every morning to grab breakfast before school, and my granny would also make me a sandwich for lunch. On basketball game days she would have my pack of Bubblicious Grape bubblegum waiting for me. This is the only kind of gum I would chew during games! I remember helping my grandmother there as a kid and putting the cigarettes and tobacco away in their right spots!  This is a bittersweet place that will be in my memories forever. I hope the family who bought it will enjoy it as much as we did!





No comments:

Post a Comment